Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Java


Remember Al Hirt?

I've been thinking a lot about memories lately....and coffee, LOL.
This is one of my favorite artworks; done by Karin Diesner~ you can find out more about her and her art HERE

I love it so much because it combines two things that have been such a big part of my life...coffee and the Chron, and makes me think of relaxation and contentment. And I remember when I first saw it at an impromptu art showing in the park across the street from Saint Peter and Paul's church in SF~ Roy and I had gone to see his Nana, the irrascible Rose Pistola; and saw the easels being set up, so we went to check it out....I fell in love with what's called "Morning Fix" and although I couldn't afford to buy it then, I got the name and the card of the artist. Later on, I purchased it for Roy for his birthday. We spent many hours talking over coffee and the Chronicle back in the day. Another nice memory associated with the work, was that when I called Ms. Diesner, she shipped it to me before I even mailed her my check (or money order, or however I paid for it). Things don't happen that way much anymore.

I've been remiss in tending to my blog, not because I had nothing to say; just not enough time to get it down in black and white. Kind of like "I'm writing a book....I've got the page numbers done" sort of thing....

So, to rewind a bit: The Fergie concert was excellent! We were in the second row,she is very cute, and such a wonderfully talented singer. Dh and friend were well behaved, didn't complain about ANYTHING (other than a brief comment by dh about "it not being quite loud enough" Haha....VERY funny. He even said he enjoyed it! I think however, he probably enjoyed a cute girl and her young, nubile dancers more than anything, since I'm almost 100% sure he didn't understand one word of any of the lyrics. Evidence: as we were walking out, he and friend Tim, were discussing the fact that they thought she was really good, but they couldn't BELIEVE she'd sing (or they'd LET her sing) a song called "F@#K-a-licious". OMG. Men. Being that my maiden last name happens to be the same as hers, and having grown up with a grandpa that everyone called Fergie, it was just too much for me to ignore, LOL. I turned around and hissed "it's called FERG-A-LICIOUS; her name is FERGIE, get it???". Honestly.

The Golf Cart Parade was the next day down on El Paseo....I don't know WHY we didn't plan for it sooner; I just wasn't thinking I guess. It's a HUGE day for all the restaurants down there, and we should have made reservations LONG before but it has been so hot, I just didn't really think about going and sitting out (b/c I KNEW dh would NOT want to do that). But then, it's been a little cooler and the place we go often with the YE's has a patio in front that's misted and we'd be able to see the parade really well since that's the turn-around. Or we WOULD have been able to if I'd thought about it a couple of weeks before and made reservations, darn it. We could have gotten reservations at another place with a patio, but the dogs couldn't go and it's no fun to go without THEM :). So we didn't. Next year. In fact, I think I'll make our reservations now, LOL. In my own defense however, the parade used to be in December, so it was a surprise to me when I got an email about being in it from the Animal Samaritans....and then realized it was just in a week! Like I said...next year! And yes, it's really golf carts all decorated up; it's pretty amazing and a lot of fun.

Now, it's planning for a few little events. Like Dh's birthday, Thanksgiving, our 10th wedding anniversary and Christmas. My head is spinning....memories, memories....

The YE's are behaving (basically), but the cat..not so much. I've been letting Cynthia out for short bits of time during the day and evening with us (she's got her own bedroom and bath) outside b/c I know she's lonely without Cesare, who was PTS last month. She's like about 15 yrs old...hasn't been out of the house in probably about 13 yrs...and what is the FIRST thing she does when my back is turned???? She caught a little bird and KILLED it...there were feathers EVERYWHERE on the lawn! The worst thing is, unless I go vacuum them up, there they'll stay til the gardeners deem the new lawn long enough to mow. UGH. What a mess. At least the grass is greening up after it being brown and stubbly for the last couple of weeks...but Cynthia is on a short leash now. Killing a bird....not acceptable behavior at this casa, kitty! She's obviously forgotten about the two demon parrots who used to bite her tail when she wasn't looking. Maybe I'll have to think about adding one to my little menagerie again. Yeah, right.....over dh's dead body, hahahahahah......talk about memories ;).

No comments: